Saturday, June 4, 2011

Speech

Just wanted to share a speech Harris gave to his class this week- I found it written on his notecards in his backpack yesterday.  I think it's awesome- just like him!

"Think about it- LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Derrik Rose.  All of thoose great basketball players.  That's what I'm gonna be- I really really like basketball.

When I first started playing basketball I stunk.  I played inside the house with a bouncie-ball.  I would hang a piece of paper on the wall and that would be the hoop (next to the front door and back)  I was pretty good because all the ball had to do was touch the piece of paper.  When I turned 7, my parents got me a goal.  I lowered it to 7 feet but I still stunk.  I tried everything but I still stunk.  I got really made, but then my Dad told me to keep practicing cause practice makes perfect and I got really good.  That same year my parents signed me up for Upward.  We were the Seminoles and we wore green and white jerseys.  We dominated.  I continued to practice.  I signed up for Upward again.  We were the Huskies and wore blue and orange jerseys.  We should have been really good because we had 2 tall people (5'0 and 5'2)  but we weren't that good.  We only won half of our games. I practiced really hard.  By that time my goal was 10 feet.  Then my parents signed me up for City league.  We were the Deerlake Hornets.  We were terrible.  After that season I have practiced harder than ever.  I practice at school and at my house.  Even today during baseball season I practice almost everyday.  I look forward to next season because my mom said I might be able to play 12 and under travel basketball.  It will be really fun.

That's what happens when you practice.  I went from terrible to awesome.  I really really like basketball."

2 comments: